Saturday, August 1, 2026

Malibu Arts Commission & Malibu Art Association

 Group email just sent to Malibu Arts Commissioners and boardmembers of the Malibu Art Association; can sleep at night in that regard. Maybe I'll create some new works today.


Hello, below you'll see a black/white photo of Marjorie Knowles and Judge Merrick, and also a 1963 copy of the articles of incorporation for the Malibu Art Association (MAA) I received this week and will present to board members at our next Legacy Park show, August 9.

First, Marjorie Knowles and Judge Merrick. They were two human beings who put in focus and work and got MAA going. So 1) MAA is not for whoever is on the board, and the Malibu Arts Commission is not for whoever is seated, both entities are for Malibu and its locals. 2) At present, as a member of MAA who has gone before the Commission three times now, and the experiences and footwork done, things don’t add up.

Second, let’s mention Avi Boyco and the crew of artists who have been welcomed in by the Commission to “gets the arts going in Malibu.” Avi has an outstanding art pedigree and those associated are all superstars, doing world-class work, so I’m pleased with that development. In all my interactions with the Commission to date I have never had a call-back or email, let alone an interest in my own art pedigree; not saying that to complain, but just as a point of information, as to the diligence of the Commissioners.

The messaging from MAA is that they’ve tried to get members to pick up slack and help administer MAA, and I've repeatedly requested a stand alone email to membership with the call for a meeting to see if anyone is interested in carrying MAA forward, and what might most easily be done. For some reason the fine print on notice for the Legacy Art Walk is all that was put forth, where unless a member was actually able/interested to show up/set up, it was likely deleted without scrutiny. We still have not got that open call to see who would show up, and interestingly, at the last Legacy show, I mentioned the possibility of losing MAA, and asked three other artists there if they’d be interested in helping and the replies were resolutely affirmative.

Back when I was attempting to get the Commission interested in a seasonal Malibu Art Walk—silence or “it’s too much work” type replies. I hope Avi and his group can bring that up again as you guys move forward. I understand I’m an unusual person with plenty of thumbs down from the surf community for having been a surfer my whole life and having mischaracterized or flat-out untrue stories attached, when I’m a credentialed educator for the State, have done multiple LifeScans conducted by the Department of Justice, and am good at teaching the arts, if not just sharing knowledge about them to folks who show up to art venues. In addition, having owned/operated a studio/gallery for almost fifteen years, I have all the one-liners and rebuttals to bring a smile or outright laugh—which it’s always nice to hear people laugh at an art venue.

As I see it, the legacy and arts heritage founded here in 1963 obviously ought to be supported and preserved, I’m sure Marjorie Knowles and Judge Merrick would agree, they certainly did not put in the focus and effort way back then for some future people to let it become a thing of the past. MAA needs to be revamped and with a new logo, it should be prestigious and for developed artists, not a junk yard for anyone who late in life wants to play artist. Sometimes it takes two or three tries to become a member of an art association. If the board of the MAA is truly wanting to fold the organization then that’s where the Malibu Arts Commission ought to now step in. This isn’t about disputes over whether or not to have a show utilizing burnt materials from the last big fire. The issue here is obviously more important than most the issues the Commission acts upon.

If the joke is on me, and everyone is fired up to work towards and create exciting arts opportunities in the community, but the thought of having to associate with me is the sticking point—I get it, and I’ve told Council Member Conrad as much more than once—I don’t need to be in the mix—I’d just like the opportunity to talk about the arts at venues.

Sincerely

John De Herrera

805-708-1965

Note: original email was to Brittany requesting Marjorie Knowles' name be corrected on the Arts Commission's page, and the photo is from Marjorie’s son.








No comments:

Post a Comment